Training a new customer insight led approach throughout Grunenthal
A new Commercial Director joined Grunenthal from AstraZeneca and recognised that one thing that was lacking from the company was real insights into their customers.
He had seen how insights had helped AstraZeneca understand and respond to the needs of Physicians, Payers, Patients, Pharmacists and other Healthcare Professionals and wanted Grunenthal as a business to benefit from insights and also to leverage insights to ensure that all potential patients could benefit from Grunenthal drugs.
The Brand Vista Approach
- We immersed ourselves in Grunenthal, spending time at the head office and with affiliates interviewing senior leaders and team members in marketing, medical affairs and market access.
- Through this research we had a clearer understanding of the future ambition, the current capabilities and the brand challenges.
- Working with the Commercial Excellence team we developed Grunenthal’s unique approach to insight. This included a definition, way of developing and using insight.
- From this we developed a two day very interactive training course. Day one was based on a fictional Pharma case study in order to practice the techniques and exercises. On day two the brand teams applied the learnings to their own brands with our help.
- Over the last 2 ½ years we have extended this training cross functionally, developing tailored insight training for Medical affairs and to the affiliates, running courses in multiple locations across Europe and South America to ensure everyone has the same belief in the importance of insight and Grunenthal approach.
- We launched the insight programme to the South American affiliates at a large conference in Ecuador.
- We have also worked with the brand teams, outside of the training, to help them to develop insight led brand plans.
- More recently we have developed an e-learning module and adapted the course to run remotely due to Covid-19.